A question of foreign currency.

Reaction score
Hate to join just to bother you with one question but I can't find my answer. I really have no idea about accountacy and balancing my checkbook is hard.

I am an American living in a foriegn country. Here, simple things are very expensive, and thus I have resorted to ordering from the US, my home country, and having things shipped to me. I've saved about 50% on some items. I'd like to make a business out of it and record my cost and profit. My issue is this:

the items I buy in USD, with USD from my US bank account. When the stock arrives here I'll sell it in the local currency. How and when should I do my foriegn conversion?

I'd like to do it once per order. Perhaps the day I made the purchase, however it takes a few days for it to be recorded in my US bank account. If I do it this way what day should I use for my currency? The day I made the purchase or the day the funds were deducted, or maybe the day the stock arrives and is ready for sale?

Since no conversion had actually taken place yet should I do it on every item when it is actually sold? That is a lot of extra leg work.

Also how do I determine what exchange rate to use? Is there one set for the day, and living in opposite sides of the world how to I know what exchange rate to use?

Any help would be appreciated. I am new at this, but I want to be succesful and believe that good accountacy is what will make or break my business. I'd really like to track sales, and overhead, to look at projections and gains to make better decisions. My parents never did this but I want to learn to teach my children too. Thank you for anyone who is willing to help me and answer my questions.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
After you sell in the local currency will you leave it in the local currency or will you sell the local currency for usd.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I haven't even considered that. I receive a pension every month to my US bank account. I use that money to buy the items, when I sell the items the money will be put in a safe in local currency. The next time I buy with my US account, I'd like to take that amount and convert it to local currency and take that amount out of the safe and put it in my pocket. Is it a good idea to do it that way? Thanks again for helping me.

BTW, can you suggest a good book to help me with begging accounting for a small business?

Ask a Question