Accountancy & Bookkeeping training UK

UK Discussion in 'General Accountancy Discussion' started by Padders, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Padders

Padders

I run my own company, growing fast and haven't had much luck finding a decent accountant. My wife is keen to do the book-keeping with the aim to becoming a fully qualified accountant long term.

We've looked for courses online but keep coming up with the £10 introduction to bookkeeping courses. Although this may well be the place to start I thought I would ask the professionals. We have children and she currently runs her own business from home too so the courses we have been looking at are all distance learning.

Can anyone recommend distance learning courses and perhaps a bit of a roadmap to eventually becoming a fully trained accountant this way. She will potentially be winding her own business down to concentrate on this as my business grows.

Padders, Jan 12, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Padders

Becky Administrator

Becky, Jan 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    Padders likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Padders

Padders

Thank you Becky. Had a look into them, they offer courses over a few days but they all seem to be classroom based. The initial plan is for her to do something basic online and then work up at her own pace for the next couple of years. She has my books to practice on and when little man goes to School something classroom based would probably be more appropriate.

The ''introduction to book keeping'' courses don't seem like too bad of an idea as a starting point. If i'm honest the biggest problem is understanding the qualifications. Some of them may as well be from the Disney university. Any ideas on the names of qualifications she should be looking at as you go through the levels of qualification so to speak?

Padders, Jan 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM
  4. Padders

Fidget VIP Member

There are 'on demand' classroom courses available online:

For bookkeeping, there's:

* ICB - Institute of certified bookkeepers

For accountancy, the main options open to your wife will be:

* AAT - Association of Accounting Technicians
    * CAT - Certified Accounting Technician

These are stand alone qualifications in their own right, but they don't get you qualified.

The qualified options will be:

* CIMA - Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
    * ACCA - Association of Chartered Certified Accountants

Both of those are professional qualifications in their own right, with CIMA more geared towards budgeting, forecasting, performance management and reporting, and ACCA more geared towards financial accounting - transactional (bookkeeping), production of P&L/Balance sheet, statutory accounts, tax, audit, application of accounting standards.

Doing AAT or CAT first will get some exemptions from some of the first CIMA/ACCA papers, but it's not many, and it can take a few years to get through AAT/CAT, so it's not worth it in my opinion if the idea is to get qualified - just get straight onto the professional stream of CIMA or ACCA instead - everything at AAT/CAT will be covered.

Fidget, Jan 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    Padders and Becky like this.
  5. Padders

Zphlame

give me the website url for those courses

Zphlame, Jan 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM
  6. Padders

AGH the CPA

AGH the CPA, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:12 PM
    Becky likes this.
  7. Padders

Padders

Thats really helpful thank you. We've sat and looked through our own tax returns this week and think some basic book keeping is probably the best place to start.

Padders, Jan 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question