Accounting entries for invoice paid in two different currencies

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi,
I recently joined a small company and I have found that they made some payments (Invoices / Salaries) in two parts; in original currency and the 2nd part in different one. (Most probably due to lack of cash for the invoice original currency)
E.x; A salary of 800 USD was paid, as (650) USD and the rest as (855) TRY. (Payment in Cash)
My question is: what are the accounting entries for above example, how to best record it ?
Your support is always appreciated.
Thanks!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What currency is used for the accounting books?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Given that your books are kept in USD then everything has to be recorded in terms of USD. So if you had a TRY transaction you have to convert it to USD amount to record it in your USD books. If you have an automated GL system that can handle multiple currencies then this makes everything easier. I suspect you have a TRY based bank account on your books that is shown using the TRY amount. If so that acct needs to be shown at its USD amount on your USD books.

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Given that your books are kept in USD then everything has to be recorded in terms of USD. So if you had a TRY transaction you have to convert it to USD amount to record it in your USD books. If you have an automated GL system that can handle multiple currencies then this makes everything easier. I suspect you have a TRY based bank account on your books that is shown using the TRY amount. If so that acct needs to be shown at its USD amount on your USD books.
I got it now, Thank you very much

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently joined a small company and I have found that they made some payments (Invoices / Salaries) in two parts; in original currency and the 2nd part in different one. (Most probably due to lack of cash for the invoice original currency)
E.x; A salary of 800 USD was paid, as (650) USD and the rest as (855) TRY. (Payment in Cash)
My question is: what are the accounting entries for above example, how to best record it ?
Your support is always appreciated.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Where does the 855USD come from. If I got you right the 1st part in USD 650 and the 2nd Part in overseas currency converted to USD is150 to make up the balance of 800 USD that completes the salary payment.

Ask a Question