Canada Acquisition accounting_opening balance sheet question

Reaction score
Country
Canada
if i'm buying 75% of a business with $250k in equity and $500k in debt, what's in 'Shareholder's Equity' on the balance sheet aside for the new equity of $250k? my question is specific to: how do i capture the 25% minority ownership on the balance sheet? Thanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Would the 25% be recorded as a minority investment on the liabilities side of the B/S?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is from IFRS 10:22

Non-controlling interests (NCIs)

A parent presents non-controlling interests in its consolidated statement of financial position within equity, separately from the equity of the owners of the parent. [IFRS 10:22]

Reaction score
Country
India
This is from IFRS 10:22

Non-controlling interests (NCIs)

A parent presents non-controlling interests in its consolidated statement of financial position within equity, separately from the equity of the owners of the parent. [IFRS 10:22]
Hello
Could you help me in understanding how and why the minority stake is shown as a liability?

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
Could you help me in understanding how and why the minority stake is shown as a liability?
It's not a liability; it's in the equity section, according to IFRS 10:22. A minority stake is contributed capital, not borrowed funds, that gives the contributor an ownership interest.

Reaction score
Country
India
It's not a liability; it's in the equity section, according to IFRS 10:22. A minority stake is contributed capital, not borrowed funds, that gives the contributor an ownership interest.
So while consolidating, minority interest is part of the shareholders funds? It's shown under equity to represent the minority's share in the group?

Ask a Question