Are online courses tax-deductible for individuals and companies?

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hi there,

If this is the wrong forum for a question like this, please close down this thread and know that I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

But if this is the right place, I hope any of you will be able to help me out.

I run a European business that sells online Excel courses internationally, but primarily to US customers.

I want to find out if my courses are tax-deductible for US customers, either as individuals (who pay for it themselves) or for companies.

I'm pretty well-versed in the Danish tax system - but not in the US tax system.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm also willing to pay for advance - but I don't know where to start. If anyone has a tip or two, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :)

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Individuals should get no write off. Businesses it depends. Generally courses for maintenance of current work are deductible but courses that improve or add new work are not.

The example often given is courses needed before and after becoming a CPA. Generally courses needed to become a CPA are not deductible. But once you are a CPA courses taken to maintain that license are deductible.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it :)

So, in the real world, how often is this maintenance "rule" used.

In my business in Denmark (Europe), we buy plenty of books and courses that help us make better business decisions, improve our marketing, or similar.

And we do deduct them.

How often do businesses in the US do that?

Because the definition sounds rather flexible (as it is where I come from).

Is it rare to be allowed to deduct maintenance books/courses, or do business do it often?

Thank you!

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
All professional licenses as I understand it require continuing education.

Ask a Question