Canada can anyone help? i'm stuck on the concept of 'breaks' or 'outages' when doing reconciliations

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In my current job I'm doing reconciliations for various contracts. One of the things I'm doing is investigating contracts that have 'breaks', also called 'outages'. But I don't really get what that means. I do at a cursory level but that's it. I've asked my trainer but haven't gotten a great explanation and it's not something I'm comfortable asking tbh 2 months into the job as it seems like something one should know by now. I know others advise to keep asking questions but in my experience that's not actually a good thing, I've been told in the past I ask dumb questions (no one phrased it that way but that's what they've implied).

Anyway so at a high level I'm investigating a GL that's a suspense account. It has say 20 contracts in it. An example of a contract would be where a doctor might've taken out a loan to buy an xray machine. Apparently my bank would handle that contract and possibly be the go-between with the two parties.

Anyway so everything's functioning fine if the entire GL has a balance of zero (since it's a suspense account) and each contract in the GL also has a balance of zero. That much I get. But I'd like to get a further explanation of how this works and how a break might occur.

Can anyone help with this? I realize it's not a typical accounting question so I wonder how much help I'll be able to get with this.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not following what you mean by this. A break, or outage, to me would suggest something along the lines of a payment free period, yet I'm struggling to join the dots between that and suspense accounts.

Ask a Question