USA Can employer recoup payroll taxes?

Reaction score
I question how my employer is handling my Social Security tax withholding. It looks like start with my portion of the revenue I generated, then take out business expenses and my 7.65% of SS/Medicare in order to arrive at my net taxable income. Then they withhold my federal and local taxes AND another 7.65%. It looks like they are doing this to recoup THEIR portion of the Payroll taxes that they pay for me. Is that Kosher? It doesn't seem fair for them to deduct extra money from my pay in order to cover their share of taxes. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You should see the 7.65% coming out of your pay only ONCE. If it is indeed coming out twice you need to 1)have them stop that and 2) repay you for the total of the extra that they already took out.

The method is you and they each BOTH pay the 7.65% - not you twice.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, I'd question what 'business expenses' they're taking out in addition to the first 7.65%

Ask a Question