Can Excel solve all of Accounting needs

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hi all,

My question is about MS Excel. Many people recommend that each accountant needs to know the Excel. But can the Excel solve all of the needs some accountant has? Or, is it a must for an accountant to know the Excel, at all? If yes, how much of it please?

Thanks in advance

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Excel is a requirement for every accounting job. Test that by looking at job listings.

Reaction score
Country
Thank for the reply but while there are many great apps for accounting why accountants still need Excel please? That is, what exists in Excel not in other apps that people have to know Excel.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Excel provides the user with some ability to speed up common accounting tasks without the need to hire a programmer. It has many built in functions and the more functions you learn the easier your job becomes. It also features a programming language.

I hope that clarifies things.

Reaction score
Country
Thank you very much for the guidance. :)
So if someone masters Excel very much, he/she doesn't need any other program for accounting because Excel can solve every need of him/her in accounting, correct?

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Clearly I did not say that. It is a useful tool and there are many such useful tools. It can address many needs but No one could say for a certainty that it can solve every need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Excel is basic for accountant. You definitely shoul know it. But Excel cannot solve everything. If you're accountant you still need other programs.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank for the reply but while there are many great apps for accounting why accountants still need Excel please? That is, what exists in Excel not in other apps that people have to know Excel.
I think the success of excel is probably quite accidental and comes from the overall success of MS operating systems. It comes as part and parcel with MS Office, and since it was there, it started getting used rather than organisations paying for a different one. I think it's now arguably the most widely used spreadsheet application in the world, and hence employers ask for proficiency in it in job ads.

Reaction score
Country
Thank you for you two too. I appreciate you for those answers. :)

Ask a Question