Can withdrawn Roth principal be re-funded?

Reaction score
This is a similar concept to what I read elsewhere about bridge loans, except the forum example given seemed to only involve contributions of a given year.

The distinction I'm making is one of amount. Since principal from any year can be withdrawn from a Roth, can one withdraw principal in aggregate and then refund it back to where it would have been with ordinary after-tax earnings?

The bridge loan example I read in the forum here seemed to suggest there was only 60 days to re-fund a withdrawal made for a particular year. But could that also apply to larger principal amounts which aggregate contributions from serveral years?

Let's say a Roth, a converted from a traditional qualified retirement account 15 years ago, has $100,000 of which only $20K is interest. Could one potentially remove $80,000 of it penalty free, and then within a few months, re-fund all or part of it? If only part of the Roth is refunded, can you continue to re-fund it over time back to its original level as if it had it not been cannibalized?

Ask a Question