USA Capital gain on sale of home

KJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a question about tax implication and how the capital gain will be assumed/calculated.

Here is the Scenario:

I am trying to take my name out of current mortgage for our house because I am buying another house where I will be living in. To qualify I have to take my name out of current mortgage and add my brother's name and it will have 2 other people with him on the mortgage (so basically we will be refinancing under my brother and 2 other people who are already on current mortgage). We plan to put the house on sale right after refinance is done. Now 2 other people will not have to pay capital gain because they are living in those for over 5 years. My brother on the other end will have to since he has not lived here.

When we calculate capital gain, how do we distribute among my brother and 2 other people (those 2 other people are husband and wife). Will we be able to do 1/3 capital gain for my brother? How do we calculate this? Any help appreciated.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Allocation should be based on percentage ownership of what was contributed. Let's say you and husband and wife each put down 1/3 of the downpayment and then each paid 1/3 of the monthly mortgage . Then the gain would be split 1/3 to each. But if husband and wife put down 1/2 of the downpayment and you put in the other 1/2 then gain split 1/2 to them and 1/2 to you.

Ask a Question