USA Cash donation to a non-profit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I work at a small non-profit. We recently received a $40 cash donation from a patron. Rather than make a special trip to the bank, we decided to make use of our bank's on-line check deposit service. One of our staff wrote a check from their personal account, which we scanned into the non-profit's account. So, the employee has the cash, and the non-profit has the deposit our patron intended. Doing this means we didn't have a cash donation laying around, and didn't have to drive to the bank to make a $40 deposit. Nothing hinky was done with the money, it ended up where it was supposed to, but I am interested in hearing what professionals like yourselves think about it. Thanks.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely reasonable to do this. I would add a control log though to keep this transparent. Meaning, when this happens you record in the log: the donor's name, the amount, the date received, the name of the person creating the check, and the date of deposit of the check. So if some patron lays $500 on you and later asks a manager about it, you have a perfectly documented trail to show that it got to the bank.

Ask a Question