Corona Virus

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering how folk are getting on?

For me, it's a work from home until further notice scenario as of today. I'm going to feel like I'm under house-arrest by the end of the week. Some social events planned have been postponed too now. All a bit doom and gloom. How's everybody else getting on?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
People are in fear that they will be confined to their homes for about two weeks. This causes them to engage in panic buying of food, bottled water, and toiletries. Market shelves have been empty and the sight of that causes others to engage in panic buying. Media is hyping the situation so you feel you must stay tuned to them 24/7. Really bad scene.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, much the same here with the panic buying, and fuelled by the media.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All good here, but I know about 8 people with it now, all are recovering at home without incident. I'm also working from home and avoiding unnecessary contact where possible. Sounds like this could go on for quite some time and we'll need to learn to adapt. Online shopping is going to be a huge relief for many people.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know anybody with it (yet!), and I think you're right - it's going to go on for while. Supposed to be going on holiday in May but expecting it to be cancelled.

Re online shopping, I always have groceries delivered, but delivery slots are hard to come by at the moment. I put in an order yesterday and the first available slot was Monday 23rd. Had a look this morning on the off-chance of any cancellations... but the first available slot now is on 28th March.

It's a bit concerning for people in the leisure industry with events being cancelled and people advised to stay away from bars, restaurants etc. Bit of a blow for the economy as well. The irony of it that the media & social media has been awash with doom and gloom about the effect of Brexit on the economy... then along comes Corona and says "allow me instead"!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm careful with groceries and deliveries to make sure that the virus will not enter my home. I always disinfect the items with soap and water or alcohol. Those who go outside must remove their clothes for immediate wash and should take a bath first.

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I hope that all of you are still doing fine.
This silent and invisible killer managed to attack us on both levels. As individuals and in our collective role as members of a business, education, and humanitarian community. Our economy has come to a stretching halt, and our only defense is to hide and make ourselves invisible too. Bulletproof contingency plans are a thing of the past. The new way to do business must be virus-proof. Counting on the help from outside communities and being dependent on the supply for vital products and equipment from sources that are beyond our control can no longer be our plan B. Those communities that are all still functioning and are keeping us alive can only do so thanks to the selflessness of their members that are prepared to risk their lives for the benefit of all of us. I sincerely hope that we will not forget to show our gratitude to the doctors, nurses, grocery workers, and delivery people alike.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems quite strange to me now that in mid March I was saying on this thread that I didn't know anybody who'd contracted it, but, a week later my older brother was admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties, tested positive for Covid-19, and then died on 5th April at the ripe old age of 56.

So I went from not knowing anybody who'd contracted it, to my brother dying from it all in the space of around three weeks. His funeral was on Friday - nearly another three weeks later. It's still kinda.. did all that really happen?

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My thoughts and prayers are with you Fidget. I wish I could find words to express my feelings for you about the loss of your brother. So all I can do is sending you my sincerest condolences.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that, yet, to coin a good old Accounting adage: "it is what it is", and nowt can be done about it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I went from not knowing anybody who'd contracted it, to my brother dying from it all in the space of around three weeks. His funeral was on Friday - nearly another three weeks later. It's still kinda.. did all that really happen?
Very sorry to hear that @Fidget, my condolences to you and your family.

Reaction score
Country
India
It seems quite strange to me now that in mid March I was saying on this thread that I didn't know anybody who'd contracted it, but, a week later my older brother was admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties, tested positive for Covid-19, and then died on 5th April at the ripe old age of 56.

Sorry to hear this. Life is uncertain and nobody knows what will happen next.

May his soul rest in peace.

Ask a Question