CPA vs CMA

Reaction score
I facing a huge dilemma of whether I should take the CMA exam or go back to school in order to take the CPA exam. The thing is, I did an internship at a public accounting firm and I absolutely hated it! I like the nitty gritty, number punching, reporting aspect of accounting. Thus, I could only see myself doing reporting or auditing aspect of the CPA. On the other hand, I do not enjoy the manufacturing and labor hours, ect., account on the CMA side. Since I lean more toward internal accounting, am I better off being a CMA or will I limit my job possibilities? All advice and suggestions are appreciated!

Reaction score
You should pursue the designation that matches your strengths more, so you're better positioned to become the top in your field and you ultimately get career satisfaction. However, you mentioned a dislike for responsibilities that both the CPA CMA has. Being a CPA opens more doors for you - if the dislike is mutual.

Ask a Question