USA Current Accounting Student

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I've stumbled across this forum while researching some information on future accounting careers and was hoping to pick your brains.

I'm currently 23 years old and have been a mechanic for about 6 years. Living in NC with several major cities within an hours drive. I was unsure of going to college and have a natural talent for working on things so I went and did "my thing". I've excelled through my career and have even been promoted to manager at the shop I'm currently working at. However, I've decided that I want to pursue something new and have decided on earning my Bachelors in Accounting. I'm 1 semester away from finishing my 2 year general ed at my local community college and will be transferring to a state university next fall. After earning my Bachelor's I plan to utilize the college's fast track master's program to be able to place for my CPA.

I'm mostly worried about whether or not I'll be a sought after employee (given my grades are satisfactory) even though my first 6 years of work were in a completely irrelevant field when it comes to my newly chosen major.

Will the Big 4 be interested in a mid-twenties graduate with prior experience that is unrelated? Will it be difficult to find a job given that I've not taken the traditional route when it comes to college? (First person in my immediate family to go to college)

What are some career paths that I should be looking into? Industry or Public?

Is the Big 4 a necessary step to take to be successful further into my career's future?

Will I be too old once I graduate? (26ish)

I look forward to talking to you all. I'm in need of some guidance indefinitely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats on your accomplishments and what you have worked towards. I hope you are safe with the Hurricanr and all.

Some of your questions made me chuckle. People are never too old to accomplish their dreams. Society changes daily, and so must our lives and goals.

I see with your experience in a mechanic shop as a great background for companies. For example, don't Orielly's and Advance Auto Parts companies need accountants? Don't their suppliers and vendors need accountants? What about compaines as United Rental? Your background has allowed you a specific area of expertise. Who knows, you might be the reason for future accountants because of your background.

And age... Many people develop their skills at different rates. You're no Doogie Houser, but that is okay. Life and challenges hit you. You choose to delay on going to school to have some fun, take care of life. I have never been asked in an interview "Why did you delay on going to college?" Recruitors might ask why did you change fields, but seek that as your chance to steal the show.

For me, I am married with kids. I completed my degree in my 30s. I am not the top choice canditate for some Accounting Firms because I have other responsibilities. But other firms love that trait of my family, it shows responsibilities and dedication.

Best of luck,
SgannonS864

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Fortunately I'm in the middle of NC so I'm mostly experiencing some showers and occasional winds.

Your response is very encouraging and I see where you're coming from. I've thought about the point you made about using my expertise in automotive a lot since I've began my journey. I guess I was just afraid that sometimes being a mechanic may carry a stigma that could be seen as me not being able to transition to a more professional atmosphere; however, in my case it's quite the contrary. Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You just made a great point also... Mechanics have to see a problem and figure out how to fix it. Accounting is taking a situation and determining what and how to fix it. Who knows, you're experiese allows you to branch out. Take what you have learned as a way of settings in order. Find a way to compare aspects of accounting to being a mechanic. You should many!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Shannons864, that being that your prior experience will deal you an advantage if and when you work in an accounting organization that deals with cars or vehicle parts, etc.

Your question of 'too old' both amused me and saddened me, LOL. I just graduated with my bachelor's in accounting and am half century old. You'll be about half that when you graduate. BE SUPER THANKFUL you have so much time. I figure I have 2 decades tops left in the workforce.
But at least I have my bachelor's, and I'll make a fair living I suppose.

Also, only a fraction of all accountants work at the Big 4. There are tons and tons that work elsewhere. One word of advice I have for you: don't worry so much now about how to plan your future career path....your career will eventually work itself out as time goes along. Even at age 27, I had no idea what I would do (just worked temp odd jobs), then in my late twenties I just "fell into" accounting and never looked back.

Reaction score
Country
India
You wouldn't be too old to graduate and land a job with the Big4s. As long as you get the CPA, you wouldn't have much problem. Even if it, not the Big4s, you can establish your own accounting company!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I've stumbled across this forum while researching some information on future accounting careers and was hoping to pick your brains.

I'm currently 23 years old and have been a mechanic for about 6 years. Living in NC with several major cities within an hours drive. I was unsure of going to college and have a natural talent for working on things so I went and did "my thing". I've excelled through my career and have even been promoted to manager at the shop I'm currently working at. However, I've decided that I want to pursue something new and have decided on earning my Bachelors in Accounting. I'm 1 semester away from finishing my 2 year general ed at my local community college and will be transferring to a state university next fall. After earning my Bachelor's I plan to utilize the college's fast track master's program to be able to place for my CPA.

I'm mostly worried about whether or not I'll be a sought after employee (given my grades are satisfactory) even though my first 6 years of work were in a completely irrelevant field when it comes to my newly chosen major.

Will the Big 4 be interested in a mid-twenties graduate with prior experience that is unrelated? Will it be difficult to find a job given that I've not taken the traditional route when it comes to college? (First person in my immediate family to go to college)

What are some career paths that I should be looking into? Industry or Public?

Is the Big 4 a necessary step to take to be successful further into my career's future?

Will I be too old once I graduate? (26ish)

I look forward to talking to you all. I'm in need of some guidance indefinitely.

Hey There,

Wondering if you saw my thread? -> https://www.accountantforums.com/threads/need-help-deciding-on-transitioning-to-accounting.169222/

I graduated with my Bachelor's degree at 30 years old (had a really hard time trying to figure out what I wanted to do while in college). I loved the industry I got my degree in (Hospitality and Tourism Management) and there's pretty much no other industry I think that got hit hardest from the pandemic. I've been extremely upset and demoralized. Your question on age rightfully so may make others chuckle. It's just a number haha.

We can stay in touch on this forum to see how it goes! I start my pre-requsite classes this August (Principles of Accounting then Intermediate Accounting classes) to start my graduate classes after for a Master's in Accounting. Have you taken an Accounting class at your college before transitioning to the University next Fall?

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey There,

Wondering if you saw my thread? -> https://www.accountantforums.com/threads/need-help-deciding-on-transitioning-to-accounting.169222/

We can stay in touch on this forum to see how it goes! I start my pre-requsite classes this August (Principles of Accounting then Intermediate Accounting classes) to start my graduate classes after for a Master's in Accounting. Have you taken an Accounting class at your college before transitioning to the University next Fall?
Varun likes posting to very old threads. This person posted in 2018 and has not been back since.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another good example of why we need a TOMB RAIDER forum.:p
For folks who like to reply to old and cold issues.

Ask a Question