Current Accounting Student

USA Discussion in 'Career and Jobs' started by Yuyuasha, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Yuyuasha

Yuyuasha

Hello everyone, I've stumbled across this forum while researching some information on future accounting careers and was hoping to pick your brains.

I'm currently 23 years old and have been a mechanic for about 6 years. Living in NC with several major cities within an hours drive. I was unsure of going to college and have a natural talent for working on things so I went and did "my thing". I've excelled through my career and have even been promoted to manager at the shop I'm currently working at. However, I've decided that I want to pursue something new and have decided on earning my Bachelors in Accounting. I'm 1 semester away from finishing my 2 year general ed at my local community college and will be transferring to a state university next fall. After earning my Bachelor's I plan to utilize the college's fast track master's program to be able to place for my CPA.

I'm mostly worried about whether or not I'll be a sought after employee (given my grades are satisfactory) even though my first 6 years of work were in a completely irrelevant field when it comes to my newly chosen major.

Will the Big 4 be interested in a mid-twenties graduate with prior experience that is unrelated? Will it be difficult to find a job given that I've not taken the traditional route when it comes to college? (First person in my immediate family to go to college)

What are some career paths that I should be looking into? Industry or Public?

Is the Big 4 a necessary step to take to be successful further into my career's future?

Will I be too old once I graduate? (26ish)

I look forward to talking to you all. I'm in need of some guidance indefinitely.

Yuyuasha, Sep 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Yuyuasha

shannons864

Congrats on your accomplishments and what you have worked towards. I hope you are safe with the Hurricanr and all.

Some of your questions made me chuckle. People are never too old to accomplish their dreams. Society changes daily, and so must our lives and goals.

I see with your experience in a mechanic shop as a great background for companies. For example, don't Orielly's and Advance Auto Parts companies need accountants? Don't their suppliers and vendors need accountants? What about compaines as United Rental? Your background has allowed you a specific area of expertise. Who knows, you might be the reason for future accountants because of your background.

And age... Many people develop their skills at different rates. You're no Doogie Houser, but that is okay. Life and challenges hit you. You choose to delay on going to school to have some fun, take care of life. I have never been asked in an interview "Why did you delay on going to college?" Recruitors might ask why did you change fields, but seek that as your chance to steal the show.

For me, I am married with kids. I completed my degree in my 30s. I am not the top choice canditate for some Accounting Firms because I have other responsibilities. But other firms love that trait of my family, it shows responsibilities and dedication.

Best of luck,
    SgannonS864

shannons864, Sep 15, 2018
    Yuyuasha likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Yuyuasha

Yuyuasha

Thanks. Fortunately I'm in the middle of NC so I'm mostly experiencing some showers and occasional winds.

Your response is very encouraging and I see where you're coming from. I've thought about the point you made about using my expertise in automotive a lot since I've began my journey. I guess I was just afraid that sometimes being a mechanic may carry a stigma that could be seen as me not being able to transition to a more professional atmosphere; however, in my case it's quite the contrary. Thanks for the information.

Yuyuasha, Sep 15, 2018
    shannons864 likes this.
  4. Yuyuasha

shannons864

You just made a great point also... Mechanics have to see a problem and figure out how to fix it. Accounting is taking a situation and determining what and how to fix it. Who knows, you're experiese allows you to branch out. Take what you have learned as a way of settings in order. Find a way to compare aspects of accounting to being a mechanic. You should many!

shannons864, Sep 15, 2018
    Yuyuasha likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question