UK Currently Underpaid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Looking for a bit of advice here. I am currently part qualified Accountant and earning around £24000 a year ($31000 approx). I am living out in the shires not in a big city - although I'm in the South which I believe would mean a bit higher? Anyway, I've been working in accounting for around 4 years and I feel like I'm being underpaid - I got into it fairly late - around 28 which may make a difference, but I feel like I should be making more at this point.

They do give me study support so that adds probably about £6000 total, based on the exams I have left - but still I think it's poor. I have been looking at other jobs and most offer at least £30000.

This site suggests average salaries for my experience level far higher than I'm getting.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/chartered-accountant

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
In my experience there tends to be a big hike in salary once you're fully qualified, but I don't know how much things have changed since I was working for a large firm. It's often possible to get a higher salary by moving from firm to firm every few years, but as you are part qualified and still studying you might want to check the terms of your contract - you may find you need to pay back part / all of your training costs if you leave within a certain period of time. However a new employer might be willing to cover these costs if they want you badly enough.

Ask a Question