USA Depreciation for vehicle rental company

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a vehicle rental company that i set up to rent cars to Uber drivers. The company is set up as a limited partnership and I am wondering how best to utilize vehicle depreciation to attract potential investors who could benefit from passive losses assuming i can pass through non-cash losses greater than the actual income. Can I even use the bonus depreciation or section 179 in a rental company situation? What happens in the event that a limited partner sells a unit? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
What happens when a limited partner wants to sell his unit should be outlined in the Partnership agreement. If not, the legal rules of the State in which the Limited Partnership is registered will apply.
With respect to our business model, you may want to read the attached articles under URL:

In addition to what you will find, there are two issues you have to be careful about:
"Calling for public money" and the "three out of five-year profitability requirement by the IRS". The first one is related to SEC rules. You have no problems when you are looking for business partners to join you in a partnership amongst your inner circles. When you start offering investment opportunities to the public, without being licensed under SEC rules, you crossed the line.
The IRS rule about the 3/5 year profitability is usually related to the question of whether you are running a business or try to declare a hobby as a business. But when your fundamental business concept is built on accumulating losses for tax savings purposes, the issue becomes tricky.

Last edited:

Ask a Question