Does size matter?

Reaction score
With my 4 year accounting degree in hand I've been interviewing for some months now to my surprise I'm hit with two offers at once. I'd eventually like to go into FP&A but would also like to build a solid financial understanding of how everything works in a practical sense.

The first company is small 8 staff members and a second location across the country. They do book keeping for a large variety of small businesses. They're looking to increase their team by 4 members so business is booming for them. They're very interested in bringing me on full time they're about a 45 minutes commute. Full benefits and flex spending for health and wellness.

The second company is the infamous Robert Half temp company. They want to sub me out to a medium sized company that's close to me. The position would be in AP with some admin duties. Benefits look sketchy. This position however would be temporary and last until the end of the year. Despite robert half's reputation they were able to VERY rapidly put me into a job opportunity.

I would absolutely love to hear anyone's feedback and thoughts on these two offers that I have. Focused on building my skills so that I may grow but job security would be wonderful too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
C'mon Tony, no comparison here. One company offers full time permanent employment and the other offers work for 3 months.
You cannot build skills when you don't have a job!

Reaction score
Hey Kirby!

I ended up taking the full time job.

The other one I was considering because of how quickly the staffing agency got me the job. I literally interviewed with the staffing agency monday morning and they called with a job offer friday morning. I had been looking around for work for months and these people got me work in 1 week o.o Thought if I took the temp job they could find me work somewhere else with different duties to get a more well rounded skillset. Thanks though :) You're right it was the right call to take the full time gig.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Kirby!

I ended up taking the full time job.

The other one I was considering because of how quickly the staffing agency got me the job. I literally interviewed with the staffing agency monday morning and they called with a job offer friday morning. I had been looking around for work for months and these people got me work in 1 week o.o Thought if I took the temp job they could find me work somewhere else with different duties to get a more well rounded skillset. Thanks though :) You're right it was the right call to take the full time gig.
I think you definitely did the right thing with the full-time position. But since they found you something quick, if you want to get a second part-time job with them that gives you more experience, they might find something that can fit around your full-time job.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Way to go, Tony! Yeah the full time job should have way better benefits like medical insurance and vacation time than any temp job. Watch out about taking a moonlighting job as Samir suggested because some companies flat out prohibit it and others take a dim view cause they see you as being pulled in two directions.
Again, congratulations!!

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Way to go, Tony! Yeah the full time job should have way better benefits like medical insurance and vacation time than any temp job. Watch out about taking a moonlighting job as Samir suggested because some companies flat out prohibit it and others take a dim view cause they see you as being pulled in two directions.
Again, congratulations!!
Good point about the second job Kirby--check your offer letter and employee handbook to see what their policy is on working for someone else in the same field. They might also cite 'a conflict of interest' as a reason to prohibit working for someone else like this.

And in case they do prohibit it, think in terms of free internships or mentoring programs. Even simple networking in the field with other locals may be enough to start you in the direction to learn more and gain experience.

Reaction score
My experience with Robert Half is that they may "rapidly" get you into a job opportunity, but they aren't really as good as they think at establishing fit. I think you made the right decision.

Ask a Question