USA Entering gas on invoices

Reaction score
I am a real novice when it comes to bookkeeping, so please excuse my ignorance. I run a small electrical contracting business. When I bill the client, I usually just enter the amount of materials, permits, etc., used. I have not been entering anything in my materials for gas. It all goes as labor. When I get my taxes done, I get a deduction off for mileage. For this reason, I have not been posting anything for gas. In other words, if my labor for a job is
$500.00 and I have to drive 60 miles, I have been recording $ 500.00 and not taking in consideration that part of that was taken up in gas. Can I deduct part of that for gas, so when I enter it into my "Quick Books" it will not all show up as income, since it isn't all income? Thanks for the help.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You said you get a deduction for "mileage." Part of that deduction is for the gas. That's why you cannot "deduct for gas" cause you already do so.

Ask a Question