USA Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence in California? North Carolina?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a quick question regarding exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence...mainly for state tax. I had thought that this same exemption applied to state taxes as well (particularly CA) but I was unable to find anywhere specifically. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to whether the below exemption applies to states as well (NC & CA) to include the extension provided to active duty military? I fall under the federal rules but wanted to make sure it applies to states as well.

Thanks!

Mike

26 U.S. Code § 121 - Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence
(a)Exclusion
Gross income shall not include gain from the sale or exchange of property if, during the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale or exchange, such property has been owned and used by the taxpayer as the taxpayer’s principal residence for periods aggregating 2 years or more.

(B)Maximum period of suspension
The 5-year period described in subsection (a) shall not be extended more than 10 years by reason of subparagraph (A).

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Both states conform to IRC section 121 as I understand ir

Ask a Question