Help..audit letter

Discussion in 'General Tax Discussion' started by helpme, Aug 25, 2011.

1. helpme

helpme

My mom had a cpa do her taxes and now the state of CA has sent home a letter of audit about her claiming as head of household. She is suppose to fill out some questionaire and return the letter. Can someone please explain what this means and what should we do? The CPA office she filed her taxes at will be closed for the next few months so we don't know where to go...:confused:

helpme, Aug 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. helpme

kirby VIP Member

You have to move fast on this. Letter has a due date and if you do not respond by due date they assess the tax as if she was not head of household AND hit you with a 25% tax penalty for not responding. CALL THEM and ask for a postponement until CPA returns. If they say yes get info on who is saying yes and ask how you can document that . If they say no - get another CPA to help with response. and if you mail in response send certified mail with return receipt requested. DO THIS TODAY!!

kirby, Aug 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. helpme

helpme

thanks for the advice..any idea why my mom got this letter? Did the CPA just screw us over?

helpme, Aug 27, 2011
  4. helpme

KRHoffmanCo

It is my understanding that CA is sending out thousands of audit letters to find additional revenue.

I would not let mom fill it out. Let the CPA do it..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    KRHoffmanCo, Aug 27, 2011
  5. helpme

helpme

Her letter is due 9/19..Can she just call any CPA office and have them look at it? We've tried calling her regular CPA office, but no luck.:confused: o yea, thanks for the advice

helpme, Aug 29, 2011
  6. helpme

kirby VIP Member

A CPA that is "gone for several months" is useless to you in this situation (and - actually in ALL situations ) . Dump him/her and get a new CPA NOW. Get referrals from friends to find one.

kirby, Aug 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question