USA HSA + Medical Tax Itemization?

Luz

Reaction score
I have an HSA.
My employer contributes to it and so do I.
I am considering sending my child to a boarding school that specializes in mental health and weight loss. She has a BMI of 48 and has attempted suicide twice.
The cost of the boarding school is $20,500 per semester.
A school year cost would be $41,000.
Our combined income is approx. $150,000
From looking at the medical itemization criteria I believe the cost for this school can be itemized.
My question is:
If I have an HSA and have paid other medical expenses from it, but not this school, can I itemize this out of pocket special school cost as a medical expense even though I have an HSA?
Hope that makes sense and any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
First off, sorry for your child's condition. I hope the boarding school will provide positive results.

In regards to deductiblity on Schedule A, any qualified out-of pocket costs for the care, including the tuition, meals, and rooming would be deductible as long as they are not reimbursed through the HSA account. These costs, as you probably know, are only deductible if itemizing and would be subject to a reduction of 10% of your adjusted gross income (150,000 * 10% = 10,000 in your case). This floor would be 7.5% if you or your spouse are are aged 65 or older.

As far as whether the costs of this boarding school are qualified to be considered a deductible medical cost, it sounds like you are confident in this, although that needs to be considered due to the facts. There are plenty of situations supported by Revenue Rulings to establish this kind of condition as long as the school provides specific training to overcome learning disabilities and that there is an expectation to return to regular school at some point. The nature of the school's curriculum must be such that the education is specifically tailored to prepare your child for regular living and alleviate the handicap. It certaintly helps to get a psychiatrist's written recommendation.

Ask a Question