USA Initial Inventory Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
The initial opening inventory for a retail store are items that are owned by the owner. He does not know what he paid for the items when he purchased them. So what should I enter for the initial inventory value. He wants me to add each item. Not sure how much to put in as initial inventory value or should I just enter as the actual value of the item even though that is the sales price?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends on what type and volume of inventory. Extremes are : car dealership - relatively few items and are large dollar items to candy store very many items and are small dollar items. So what are you facing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
it is around 2000 total items, he is starting a retail store from a personal collection of items that he accumulated over the years.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Large dollar items or small dollar items? What’s the average value? Unique or you could find the stuff on Amazon? Can you give a general description so I don’t have to feel like this is “pulling teeth” here?:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
value varies, it is primarily video games and collectible stuff like that. nothing more expensive than $150 though with most being in the $10-$20 range. Nothing that unique and in fact has been selling on ebay to raise capital for a physical store. For example: he has a game that is "worth" $15 (value can be acquired from a website that tracks ebay sales), he sells it for $15. Would I enter the inventory item as owners equity and $15 since thats what it is worth even though he sold it for $15? Also, each item is unique, very little duplicates of the same item and therefore each item has a different value.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The journal entry you proposed
DR Inventory $15
CR Owner's Equity <$15>
is correct.
To get prices, use the prices that a seller (like gamespot) wants to BUY from someone at. Then when you sell at market there will be a profit. Try to copy those prices you look up to PDF as backup for your inventory values. Give those PDF's a filename that will lead you to the inventory item easily.

Ask a Question