Canada Interpretation of Segment

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello All

How would you interpret "Regional or Segment Revenue and EBTIDA Analysis"?

What is defined by regional? (note that there is a separate report, 1 of 17, that asks for a geographical revenue). So, what does Regional mean if not Geographical. Note that we do not otherwise operate on a 'regional' basis.

Or, if I use Segment, then what do you think this means?

I have little to go on, and I simply need to provide my interpretation of the reporting requirements.

Thanks.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Segment usually refers to type of business where a company offers many different product lines and want to show the profitability/revenue each generates. Regional I have always understood to be geographic (Northwest, Southeast,etc)

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, if we had a suite of 10 products, Segment would mean the revenues from the hospitality segment, manufacturing, healthcare, etc. Is that what you mean?

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Could be. Its not really product but is based on the way that management organizes within the entity for making operating decisions and assessing performance. Think of it as a part of a company that can be distinctly separated from the company as a whole based on its customers, products, or market places. If you like there is a lot of discussion on google such as:

https://www.myaccountingcourse.com/accounting-dictionary/business-segment

https://www.iasplus.com/en-us/standards/fasb/presentation/asc280

Hope this helps

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Broadly speaking, I'd take regional to mean local to a particular area or area of the same country the organisation is based in, and geographical to be outside of the that.

Segment is a business activity that can be distinguished from other business activities of the same company.

Some airlines are probably a good example. They have their internal aka domestic/regional flights, and they have their international flight operations.

For reporting, under IFRS there's IFRS 8 which has a 10% rule going on - generally a segment where its profit (or loss) makes up 10% of the overall profit/loss of the company needs to be reported separately.

Last edited:

Ask a Question