USA IRS rules on holiday gifts as business deduction...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a dentist who works at a practice as an independent contractor. I do business through a passthrough LLC. My hygienist and assistant are technically employed through the practice owner's S-Corp, and what I pay them hourly is deducted from the check I receive at the end of the month which is based on my collections.

That being said: I (my passthrough LLC, rather) paid around $2000 last year in Christmas gifts for my assistant, hygienist, and our receptionist. Can I write off these gifts?

The auxiliary staff that I work with (but do not necessarily pay) on a day-to-day basis also receive gifts from me each year. Can these be deducted? Keep in mind these staff are employed through the owners S-corp. I am an independent contractor working for the S-corp.

My LLC also paid a consulting firm $2000 to have the practice appraised since I may buy into it in the future. Can this be deducted?

Several times throughout the year I have taken the office staff out to dinners where the practice was discussed. Can this be deducted if receipts are saved?

This is all under the assumption I have receipts (which I do) to prove the purchases.

For the office staff I typically write them a check (from my LLC) as a birthday gift. Can this be deducted?

Last year I purchased about $1200 in lottery tickets as card stuffers for office staff birthday gifts. I wrote a check from the LLC to the LLC, cashed it, and in the memo stated "Jane Smith birthday gift lotto tickets". Can I deduct the cash purchase of the lottery tickets since receipts are not provided for lottery tickets in my state?

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gifts when there is a working relationship are limited to the following:

$25 per year per person with the following exceptions:

Longevity awards
Safety awards

Said awards are limited in dollar amount and frequency.

It sounds like you more than violated the limits.

Ask a Question