Mass. non-resident - pay tax on Stock sales ?

Reaction score
Situation - Non-resident of Mass, but work in Mass so I must pay Mass income taxes for the days I physically work in Mass.

Question on 2 types of stock sales :
1) nonqualified stock - bought and sold the same day, federal taxes were withheld, and the amount left after paying for the stock was listed as ordinary income . The company is based in California, I just work in a division located in Mass. Do I have to pay Mass. income tax on this portion of income from the stock sale, that was reported as ordinary income in W2 box 1

2) stocks in a different non-Mass based company, also for whom I had previously worked for , I bought shares and held for long time. Last year Sold these stocks and made some long term capitol gains. Do these capitol gains have to be reported and taxed on Mass non-resident tax form ?

Reaction score
Yes, you will have to pay withholding tax

I think you will have to pay with holding tax, it doesn't matter whether you are a resident or not, if you are trading in stocks you have to pay with holding tax.

Ask a Question