USA Minimizing or Avoiding LLC, Capital Gains, New York

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a charter boat business which has been taking losses, so I plan to dissolve the corporation and file final tax forms. My problem is that I willl be selling the vessel for about 150k after it has been completely depreciated so there will be a capital gain which will be taxed heavily. My partner is my wife and she has 20% ownership and I have 80%. We file a joint personal tax return. Is there a legal way of minimizing or avoiding the huge amount I will have to pay on a $150,000 gain?
I would imagine someone well should in this area can come up with a creative means of assisting me. The tax will really break the bank.
Thanks so much to you all.
Cape Ray

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you don't need the cash and still use the boat, don't sell it... just keep it and do nothing.... OR lease/option it to someone and carry payments over two years and spread the gain out a bit.
You might explore trading it with a 1031 exchange, but the trade in item would have to be for business. Think creative and there's a few ways to make it work.

Ask a Question