USA My vision of a holding company. Are there any tax benefits here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but, I've talked to my long standing accountant (that I inherited) about this subject and he doesn't show much interest in getting me the information I’m needing. I currently own a successfully electric contracting business in Illinois. I'm looking to create a “holding company” that could bring me tax benefits by commingling service. This is what I had in mind:

XXX Holding Company
XXX Electric
XXX Real Estate
XXX Tooling

• My electrical business will rent tools from my tooling company. My electrical business will rent property from my real estate company.
  • My tooling business will purchase tools from profits of the holding company which owns the profitable electrical company.
  • My real estate business will purchase real estate from profits of the holding company that owns the profitable electrical company.
I not sure if what I’m asking has any tax advantages. However, there are some general contractors here in Illinois that I know are doing things similar to this and I’m trying to figure out what the benefits are. Any feedback would be great. I’m obviously considering sitting down with a new accounting firm to discuss this if it makes sense to someone other than me……

Ask a Question