New Business

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm in the right place, but here it goes. I just started my own business. My company is a LLC. It's very simple. I'm the only employee and I offer a service (don't sell products). I am using QB Simple Start, because I was told it was the best option for me at this time. I have created my business in QB. I have one bank account and then I created a capital asset acount for all the things I have spent money on up to the point in which my bank account was created. There are however some things that aren't in there yet. For example, I have my cell phone in my personal name, however I an now using it for buinsess purposes. I need to keep the account in my name so how do I handle this monthly expense. (I have a friend who's an accountant and he told me to keep personal seperate from business at all times). Do I create an expense report and pay myself back each month, or do I just wait until tax time and write it off as a personal expense for the business. Same thing goes for the utilites for my home. I run the business out of my house so I know I can write a portion of everything off. How do I handle this on the bookkeeping side of things?? Do I need to show ALL of those things as business expenses on the business side of things, OR can I just write them off as personal business expenses??

Please help!

Reaction score
Business vs. personal

For utilities and business use of the home, you fill out the appropriate form in the 1040 listing: you're allowed a percentage based on SF/# of rooms used exclusively for business.

For cell phone, you better have an accurate log of all business calls made and all applicable charges.

Ask a Question