Older accountant beginner

Reaction score
I'm interested in switching careers from insurance sales to accounting. My undergrad degree was a BS in management so I took many of the lower and middle accounting courses, however I graduated in 2003. At the beginning of 2014 I'll be starting a MS in accountancy program. I'm really interested in gaining experience in the accounting industry but no one will hire me. What are some things I can do to start working part time in accounting field? I'm located in the metro Atlanta area?
Future plans are to obtain my CPA license and then open an accounting firm.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I also made a career change to accounting, but I specialize in the tax field.

Local accounting firms with a tax specialty usually hire seasonal help. However, a lack of experience is troubling. You need to demonstrate that you possess tax knowledge. I've found that tax practices will hire inexperienced individuals who already have tax training. A major path to accomplishing the needed tax expertise is studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. You should pass the exam on your first attempt with a good course like the one at Enrolled Agent Exam Review and Study Guide. Now is the time to take this step, before you start your additional college education in 2014.

Ask a Question