USA Proper way to record cash payments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi.

I have a new business and I am in the service industry. I get referrals from various people. I pay a percentage for each referral and my one of my of referrers would like cash only. I would prefer to pay with check to him but whatever I guess. Do I just record these as a normally would move on? I could only assume that he may not want to pay taxes if he is required to do so but I can't control what he does on his end. I pay all the taxes I am required to on my end.

Thanks.

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can pay them in tin biscuits if you like but you will still need to record the payments and send them a 1099 if the $ exceeds $600.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks AGH. I'm gonna have to just tell him this stuff and if he doesnt like it tough. If I give cash do I need some type of signed receipt? I would prefer a check so I have a trail. Happy 4th!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Second the 1099, unless they file as a corporation themselves and you are paying that entity.

Ask a Question