New Zealand Provision of doubtful debts and bad debts

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there,

For an assignment I have to write a profit and loss statement and a statement of financial position. I am given a trail balance that I have to adjust. One of the things I have to adjust is the provision of doubtful debt account and the bad expense account. They both currently sit at $2,500 and I am told that the provision of doubtful debts account should be 7% of the accounts receivable balance which is $14,800 so I have calculated that at $1,036. I am just a bit confused as to how I make this adjustment to the existing figure on the trail balance? Like do I just add $1,036 to $2,500? Will the bad debt expense also be affected? Also I have been told that a bad debt of $1,800 needs to be written off so I have written up a journal entry for that but will this affect the accounts receivable closing balance at all? I have read a lot of different info on this bit still can't figure it out. Any help would be amazing!!

Triest123

VIP Member
Reaction score
The additional bad debt provided for the year is 1,036 - ($2,500-1,800) = 336

Ask a Question