USA Query on two state W-2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope someone can help me. I am doing a 2018 tax return and i have one W-2 nothing else. The W-2 shows i have income in two states viz MA and CA. I am a full time resident of CA and NR of MA. The W-2 combines both states income. I think but i am unsure if there is a double taxation here. Can someone please help me
complete the processing of this W-2 into my tax return

Reaction score
Country
United States
It should NOT be double taxation. What you will need to do is allocate the income between CA and MA using a reasonable method so that the sum equals the Federal Box 1 or Box 2 figure.

The MA non resident tax return has an income allocation worksheet that you can use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This a great help I know the % allocation between each state. so dol i do seperate Federal to make up the full total. So what you are saying is that i ignore whats on the W-2 and do two federal returns one for CA and one for MA. ais that how it works

Reaction score
Country
United States
When i process the W-2 in my tax software . I dont understand why the W-2 shows CA Income $72800 and MA $61600 totalling $134400 in box one. Now when i get to the bottom of the processing window when i normally enter the state details. which together will add up to box 1 at the top. Are you saying that these figures need to change on the basis of re allocation. If i do that then the 1040 will send my total AGI to the CA return and CA will be gaxed on he 4134400. Plese put me out of misery I have not got to grips with tis yet

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like your company already figured out how much is CA and how much is MA. You can call the company who gave you the W2 to confirm.

Ask a Question