USA Question Regarding State Tax Liabilities and Partial Year Residency

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy folks,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I wasn't sure where else I could post it.

I work as a paralegal at a law firm located in Washington D.C. I've been there since 2015. From January 1, 2016 through July 31, 2016 (213 days) I was living and working down in D.C. On August 1, 2016 I moved to Pittsburgh, PA for personal reasons, however I kept my job as a paralegal and now work remotely full time. My boss mailed me 'Form D-4A Certificate of Nonresidence in the District of Columbia' which states at the bottom:

"Under penalties of law, I certify that my permanent residence is not in DC and that I will not be residing in DC for 183 days or more in the tax year."

I emailed him and told him that I had been in DC for over half the year. He told me that he hadn't realized and will unfortunately have to continue to withhold DC taxes from my paycheck. He does not take out state taxes for my coworkers that live in Maryland and Virginia, only the DC residents. I had assumed that I would now have to pay the Pennsylvania state tax myself. I was not anticipating having to continue to pay the DC state tax.

My question is will I have to also pay the Pennsylvania State tax since I am now a resident of Pennsylvania? I tried looking for the answers myself but I was unable to find one. I asked my boss if I would be getting taxed twice and he only said that he didn't know, and that he would not be taking out any Pennsylvania state taxes himself.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss and I really don't want to get boned by being taxed twice.

Thanks

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on your info you are considered a part-time resident of PA for tax purposes. PA (like other States) offer a credit for income taxes paid to another State. PA has a personal income tax guide [DFO-02]. See pp.7-8 to learn more about the credit. Here's the link: http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandP.../Personal Income Tax - 2015.aspx#.V8n5wvmU3q4

Claiming the credit for "taxes paid to another state" is the only way around this "double-taxation".

Ask a Question