Canada Revenue Recognition for paid services not rendered

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Happy new year everyone,

We are a service company where customers pay in advance of receiving the services. While reviewing the accounts, I noticed that there about five payments received but not yet booked although several years have passed. Currently, we don't have an expiry policy. Can we recognize the revenue?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
First research the facts thoroughly. If you delivered the services you can record the income. If you did not then you have a liability to the customer, not a revenue item for you to book. Also, some provinces have laws concerning unclaimed property, which applies here.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I would review 2 points - statute of limitations and the likelihood that the customer will come back to utilize the advance payments - if it is very unlikely the customers are ever coming back for the money and statute of limitations have passed, I would consider it is reasonable to recognize the advance payments to income.

Ask a Question