Reversal of depreciation?

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help with the below issue.

A non current asset was purchased for $20,000. It has been added to the fixed asset register and since then over $9,000 depreciation was charged. It has recently turned out the company never purchased this asset. How to reverse these incorrect accounting allocations?

regards,
Kevin

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just have to ask--is this a homework problem? This sounds like a homework problem.

I mean, how would the company not notice it didn't have a $20,000 fixed asset it thought it had bought? And long enough that it had booked depreciation against it? Your description of this situation goes klunk.

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Im afraid this is a real case scenario. Im not here to answer how this hasn't been noticed for such a long time, I'm here for accounting help :)

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You reverse it by AMENDING each of the returns effected by the incorrect depreciation calculation, and this includes changing the balance sheet disclosure of fixed assets and accumulated depreciation.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
First of all, it's an error in the accounting record. As per IAS-8, it should be dealt retrospectively. So, the cost, accumulated depreciation, and NBV will be removed from the books. Similarly, opening retained earning will be credited equal to accumulated depreciation. In simple words, depreciation charged in the income statement (as of now) will be credited back in opening retained earnings, and asset is set to be removed from the books.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I think you have to reverse the entries made in the prior year retrospectively like this
1.Cash $20,000 (Debit)
Machine $20,000 (Credit)

2.Accumulated dep $9,000 (Debit)
Retained earning $9,000 (credit)

note: we didn't reversed depreciation expense because it is an item of income statement which is prepared for the year and if we credit depreciation expense it will reduce the expense of the current year which is not appropriate so we have to reverse it from prior year's profit .All the prior year's profit are accumulated in retained earning account...

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Kevin,
For US GAAP, reverse the error in the current period ( i.e. that means post the credit to the P&l and not to retained earnings) UNLESS the error amount was material to the prior periods. If so, then make a prior period adustment.
And be sure to follow what Big E said about amending your tax returns.

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
In the period of acquisition Dr Cash or Receivable 20,000 | Cr Machine 20,000
In each subsequent period Dr Accumulated depreciation machine 1,000 | Cr Depreciation expense 1,000 (assuming 9 periods).
If the difference is material, the historical statements will need to be restated. Retained earnings will need to be adjusted.

Ask a Question