USA Setting up as a virtual bookkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! First post :)

I'm an adult who is returning to school to get my Bachelor's in accounting (I have associate's in business admin and marketing). At the moment, I am working as an office manager/bookkeeper for about 6 months. I also operated my own side business for 6 years and so I've got a decent entry level knowledge of bookkeeping on a general level.

I was just notified today that my hours at my job will be cut which will free up 2 days a week. I'm considering offering virtual bookkeeping services but I don't know if I'm experienced enough to do that. Is that a bad idea?

My experience is with Quickbooks mostly although I did take basic accounting when I got my business degrees 15 yrs ago. I know how to create estimates, invoices, process payments and deposit/transfer them, enter transactions into a ledger, and to do basic transactional things. I do know how to do reconciliation but I don't do it currently. I do not know how to do payroll (although I seem to learn these things quickly given the opportunity).

SO - with that said, should I give it a shot? Or wait for more experience/training?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is that virtual bookkeeping?
Just what it says - virtual bookkeeping or remote through remote hosting programs or file sharing

As to the original question: go for it - if you are confident then do it. I did it by fluke 5 / 6 years ago and now it's grown into a full time job for me - well full time income but still part time hours. Most weeks I work 15 actual hours and make 3 times more than I would ever get paid in a traditional office position plus no commute, no hassles with others, no one watching over my back... best part? I can take a nap anytime I want :) Seriously the only thing I regret is not getting off of the hamster wheel of corporate accounting positions 20 years sooner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great information. Thanks for sharing. I have a question. I have been doing bookeeping for a few clients over the past several years but, I am looking to grow my practice in the virtual space. I have no idea where to begin to gain more clients for remote accounting (especially accross the country). What resources should I tap into to help me market to those type clients?

Ask a Question