Inventory 73000
Total $104,000

Liabilities and Owner's Equity
Accounts payable 21000
Harriet, Capital 23000
Mike, Capital 8000
Elly, Capital 52000
Total: $104,000

Information: Income ratios are 2:4:4 for Harriet, Mike, and Elly, respectively.

Question: Assume that as part of liquidation proceedings, Creekville sells its noncash assets for $60,000. As a result, one of the partners has a capital deficiency which that partner decides not to repay. The amount of cash that would ultimately be distributed to Elly would be ____.

Okay, I know the answer is $34,000 and I know how they got the answer, I just don't understand a small part.
Long story short, it turns out that Mike has a deficit of $6,000 that he is unwilling to pay.

Now this is the part that I don't get: Elly's part to pay in this is $6,000 * 4/6 = $4000.
However, That would make Harriet's part to pay also $4,000.
The deficit is only $6,000. I would think that you would divide the loss equally between both partners since they both have the same income ratio.
How does this work?

Thanks,
Sarah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Sarah,

I did not work through the problem in its entirety, but focusing on Mike's $6,000 deficit, this amount would be absorbed by Harriet and Elly, who have a 2:4 ratios (now that Mike is out of the picture). That means that Harriet will absorb 2/6 ($2,000) of the deficit, while Elly will absorb 4/6 ($4,000). I believe you were on the right track--possibly just misreading the relevant ratio for Harriet? :)

Harriet Make Elly
2:4:4

Hope this clarifies things!

Ask a Question