Staying below $100K Gift Amount Threshold to Avoid Filing Form 3520

Dec 26, 2012
Reaction score
I will be receiving a gift of about $250K from a foreign relative (sibling in Canada) who used to live in the U.S. (was a permanent resident between 1980 and 1993).

I am aware of the need to file Form 3520 for amounts over $100K in a calendar year. I've seen people online express a desire to remain below the $100K threshold to avoid the reporting requirement.

My question is: what benefit is there in splitting up the transfer into separate calendar years to avoid the requirement to report the gift on Form 3520?


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question