USA Help with staying motivated to study for CMA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am currently studying for the CMA and looking for some advice. I am a staff accountant handling general accounting at a manufacturing company, before that, I was a tax associate for 4 years. So I have some general accounting and tax as a background with a master's degree in accounting.

I originally started studying for the CPA and took Far and Reg and did not pass either. I thought the CMA might be more interesting since I'm in manufacturing accounting now, so I started studying for it this year. My problem is, I get bored with studying all the time and then don't end up studying nearly enough to pass these tests. It was different in college because I was not studying nearly as much material for a test as I am now, plus my degree program had group projects where we worked on assignments in teams and that kept things interesting and gave me the opportunity to socialize. Now I am just in a room home alone doing one multiple choice question after another. Does anyone have any advice about dealing with boredom and staying motivated while studying for these certifications? I feel like it is so hard to concentrate and sit down and do 20 - 50 multiple choice questions in order to practice. I could use any advice that anyone has.

Reaction score
Country
India
US CMAs are considered highly desirable for FP&A job roles (financial reporting, financial planning, financial analysis and financial decision making). The US CMA curriculum also focuses on developing and testing skills required to perform the aforementioned jobs. Many American CFOs choose to be US CMAs themselves and prefer to hire US CMAs in their teams. CMAs expertise in USGAAP and understand its distinctions from IFRS.

It would take much more efforts in understanding the topics and revising, but it isn't impossible. There are a good set of professionals who encourage and choose self-learning over other methods. I would suggest that you waste no time and get your hands on the study materials somehow - libraries, your friends and family who have already pursued/are pursuing the course will be able to help you.

Here is the study plan for preparation:
  • Don't discuss with many people! This can leave you confused!
  • Make small notes of all the important sections/portions.
  • Highlight important portions on your books
  • Keep revision consistent
  • Take several mock exams
Hope this helps! All the best for your preparation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What study material are you using?

I just recently started studying for this as well, and plan to sit for my first test in Oct. I would agree that it is like anything else, in the fact that studying for it gets extremely boring. I have been trying to break up my sessions into 2 or 3 a day. With that being said, if I find myself really focused and into it for one session, I will go past my planned study time and take advantage of it.

I try to break up my study sessions as well. That way I am not reading all day long or answering m/c the whole time. I try to give myself some variety.

Reaction score
Country
United States
US CMAs are considered highly desirable for FP&A job roles (financial reporting, financial planning, financial analysis and financial decision making). The US CMA curriculum also focuses on developing and testing skills required to perform the aforementioned jobs. Many American CFOs choose to be US CMAs themselves and prefer to hire US CMAs in their teams. CMAs expertise in USGAAP and understand its distinctions from IFRS.

It would take much more efforts in understanding the topics and revising, but it isn't impossible. There are a good set of professionals who encourage and choose self-learning over other methods. I would suggest that you waste no time and get your hands on the study materials somehow - libraries, your friends and family who have already pursued/are pursuing the course will be able to help you.

Here is the study plan for preparation:
  • Don't discuss with many people! This can leave you confused!
  • Make small notes of all the important sections/portions.
  • Highlight important portions on your books
  • Keep revision consistent
  • Take several mock exams
Hope this helps! All the best for your preparation.
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions and help. I agree, the CMA is very useful in FP&A roles and in accounting roles in a manufacturing environment. I am learning a lot that I can apply to my current job. Sometimes it can just be hard to remember all of the vast material you need to know. I appreciate the tips.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What study material are you using?

I just recently started studying for this as well, and plan to sit for my first test in Oct. I would agree that it is like anything else, in the fact that studying for it gets extremely boring. I have been trying to break up my sessions into 2 or 3 a day. With that being said, if I find myself really focused and into it for one session, I will go past my planned study time and take advantage of it.

I try to break up my study sessions as well. That way I am not reading all day long or answering m/c the whole time. I try to give myself some variety.
I am using the Wiley platinum package and also have taken the online class from BCertifiedPro for part 2 of the exam. I am taking part 2 first. My test is supposed to be in Oct as well. I think even if I don't feel fully prepared, I will go ahead and sit for it just to see the test and the format of the questions. I think maybe I just need a lot more practice and a better study method to remember what I have learned. I feel like just when I have gotten one concept down and I'm doing well with it, I end up forgetting something I learned previously. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your test. It is definitely a good certification to get. I work for a global, fortune 500 company and many of the positions in my company list it as a requirement or a preferred credential for senior and management roles.

Reaction score
Country
India
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions and help. I agree, the CMA is very useful in FP&A roles and in accounting roles in a manufacturing environment. I am learning a lot that I can apply to my current job. Sometimes it can just be hard to remember all of the vast material you need to know. I appreciate the tips.
All the best for your preparation.

Ask a Question