USA VRBO fees

Reaction score
I am bookkeeper for someone with LLCs for his various vacation rental homes. We've started using Homeway/VRBO for advertising rentals. On our contract, we charge for the rental, a refundable security deposit, and a non-refundable cleaning fee. Homeaway allows the guest to book and pay through their site and charges a service fee above and beyond the above items. Homeaway EFTs us the client payment net of the service fee. So, a rental worth $2,500 to us, for example, results in a charge of $2,750 to the guest, and Homeaway keeps that $250. My question is whether I need to even book that 250. We never see it, but it is included on the contract.
I'm guess not because I can't think of any logical way to set it up in QB such that an amount is not left in AR when the guest pays our charges, but it feels wrong to just leave it out.
Thanks!

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd definitely book the $250 as a cost of sale (that's what it is). It's like merchant fees on a credit card sale....you'd book them.

Ask a Question