USA W4 exempt w2 no wages

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told to put exempt on my W4 so no taxes would be taken out of a part time job as my major taxes are taken out of retirement pay. But just got my mail and the W2 has no wages in box 1. Called that employer and he said because I put exempt on line 7 of W4 there will be nothing put in box 1. Any suggestions would be helpful!

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
First, exempt is only permitted when you paid $0 federal taxes last year and expect the same this year - otherwise you will be fined so make sure this is what you can do. Read up on this to make sure that is right.

My understanding is since you claim exempt there should still be an amount in line 1. Exempt means no withholdings - not no taxable income (which is line 1). I think they are wrong and coded you incorrectly. Talk to them again and ask them to show you the IRS rule that says they are right - it will be easy for you to show them they are wrong (just look it up on IRS site)

Ask a Question