USA What Just Happen?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a question which involves a long story but I’ll try to make it brief.

There is this CPA firm that does audits for mainly government and non-profits which is to the best of my knowledge is minority and women owned, I know this might be too much information but it could be useful. They hire packs of students by the dozen out of college, pretty much the only qualification you need to have is to know how to open a swinging door in 2 tries.

There is this girl who is graduating college and gets hired by this place. This place lets the herd in on July 1st which gives a buffer of about 3 months of no job. The girl is happy and stops searching and is studying for her CPA. She gets a phone call that they ran a check and turns out she didn’t graduate in May 2015 to which she says “yeah I know, I have all the credits completed and per advisor’s suggestion not to file for graduation just so she can still pay as undergrad for CPA courses”. To this the lady at the firm is fuming and yelling that this was the only pre-requisite for this job is to have a degree. I jump in and tell her to call college and see if she can expedite the process. College says “sure, we can make it happen by July 1st". She tells the lady at the firm “sorry about misunderstanding, I can have this formality done by the time I start the job”. The lady sends her a lawyered up email pretty much calling her a liar and that she can’t wait until July.

Back to my question WTF just happen? I’m from the world when you throw things up they come back down. I work at small to medium size companies and if there is a small snafu people work with you as long as you do your job and do it well. This I cannot explain, she will have her “official” degree by job's start date, what is this insanity all about?

Girl is distraught and I’m puzzled.

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gee whiz. Poor little liar is caught and NOW is distraught.
Such a tragedy.
Poor you is puzzled.
So let's say you were the owner and the business supported your family.
Your business depends on your reputation for having only degreed workers.
You find some loser has lied about having a degree.
You are gonna tell me you would be chill and not angry?
Not a rational response.
I would have discharged her on the spot.
She' s a threat of her own choosing to my business.
But you go ahead and hire all the liars you want if that works for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gee whiz. Poor little liar is caught and NOW is distraught.
Such a tragedy.
Poor you is puzzled.
So let's say you were the owner and the business supported your family.
Your business depends on your reputation for having only degreed workers.
You find some loser has lied about having a degree.
You are gonna tell me you would be chill and not angry?
Not a rational response.
I would have discharged her on the spot.
She' s a threat of her own choosing to my business.
But you go ahead and hire all the liars you want if that works for you.
I don’t see the "liar" part as her courses are all complete and she can evaluate her credits and start on July 1st with “graduated” status. If you are assuming that she was telling them that she graduated at the time of the interview that couldn’t been true because the interview was 2 months ago she was still finishing up her last semester and the company knew that.

She is going to get her “official” BS in accounting by July 1st. And this sets up an interesting “Please allow me to introduce my lawyer” moment. Seems like a breach of contract to me. We have a letter stating that she was dismissed based on not having a degree, job starts on July 1st, and “what is this?”- ohh a degree dated June 28th. What happens to “business supported your family”- no private schools for them?

Please read my post next time, it’s a massive company hence my statement “they hire packs of students by the dozen out of college”. Please refrain from calling us “liars”, "losers" or “poor” in a condescending manner.

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your firm did not get bent out of shape for fun. They had reason to do so. Just from what you said, in spite of the new spin you are trying to put on it, "she didn't graduate in may 2015" means that she must have represented to the firm that she HAD graduated in May 2015. My guess is that is what she wrote that on her APPLICATION so THAT is the lie and why the actual start date doesn't matter here, no matter the spin.
Got it now?

Bottom line- why be upset over the actions of your firm? Quit and be happy elsewhere.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your firm did not get bent out of shape for fun. They had reason to do so. Just from what you said, in spite of the new spin you are trying to put on it, "she didn't graduate in may 2015" means that she must have represented to the firm that she HAD graduated in May 2015. My guess is that is what she wrote that on her APPLICATION so THAT is the lie and why the actual start date doesn't matter here, no matter the spin.
Got it now?

Bottom line- why be upset over the actions of your firm? Quit and be happy elsewhere.

It’s not my firm; I couldn’t care less about “the firm”. Never did the firm say during the interview process “hey, make sure you graduate or we can not hire you”. Anything could have happen, she could have failed a class and not graduate, which she didn’t. If they would have specified that, no problem, she would have filed for graduation and the rest is history.

There is something called “come to an amicable resolution”. I think that she offered more than amicable resolution when she said to them in the numerous emails that she is sorry about misunderstanding and she will have “graduated” status by the time she starts.

Poor firm; leave the firm along? Sounds like you work for them. In either case: I’m a little older than her and this is not my 10th rodeo. I’m not a snot nosed kid out of college who gets hit in the gut sheds a tear and moves on. She lived off credit card and my help for 3 months, she lost all job prospects, she turned down a job 10K more than what “the firm” offered to work at a CPA firm, she missed out on out of school hiring deadline. She was telling family and friends how great everything is. And now she is thrown back, broke and looking like a fool. I wonder what you would do if somebody took you out at the knees and you can’t work for 3 months, how is your line “Bottom line- why be upset over the actions of your firm?Quit and be happy elsewhere.” working out?

Trust me; I rather have an amicable resolution. I got punched in a gut plenty of times and walked on eventually to relies if I didn’t do anything- I sanctify the actions perpetrated against me, and it will happen to somebody else. Now anyone who goes after me or my kin will wish they didn’t.

Ohh by the way don’t think I didn’t notice you calling me a liar again when you said “in spite of the new spin you are trying to put on it”.

Ask a Question