Why do people NOT start businesses?

Reaction score
I have met many people over the years who have asked my opinion on various businesses and ideas, sometimes resulting in start-ups, more often resulting in nothing. We often ask the question of why do people decide to start businesses, so I thought to ask why do people decide NOT to start businesses. Is it for fear of the unknown, or of bureaucracy, lack of confidence, lack of knowledge, lack of conviction in an idea, circumstances prevent, or simply not knowing where to start? I am interested to know other people’s experiences and how people might best overcome those barriers to start the business they dream of.
RUDI SCHOGGER
E: rudi (at) rudischogger (dot) com
T: 07956 623 198
W: rudischogger (dot) com]

Reaction score
Being desperate is always a good start at overcoming obstacles. Loads of people finally start their own business because they have no other choice.

Reaction score
I started my business 3.5 years ago. I didn't do it before then as I was a single parent and couldn't take the risk of having no income, so I stayed for years as an employee until my daughter grew up.

As it goes, I had no sooner started the business than I ended up taking in a child to live with me after his mother died so I was in the situation I had always wanted to avoid! Still, it's all worked out well.

Reaction score
I think a lot of people like the idea of being independent and starting a business but not everyone wants to go through the trials and tribulations or is willing to take the risks involved. It's just the in thing to do, to talk about starting a business. I run across lot's of people who talk like this, they are typically dreamers most of them.

Only a few people want to endure what is takes to run a successful business. And that is OK if you don't want to go through what it would take to run a business. But many people fool themselves when its not worth it. Just do what you are good at :)

Reaction score
I think that hearing about alot of small businesses closing down has something to do with it.

Reaction score
People don't start businesses simply because they are lazy. It is that simple and there is nothing else to it.

People will make up all types of excuses for not starting a business. But the reality is that they are just too lazy to do the research, too lazy to establish the right network of people, too lazy to stick to a plan, too lazy to learn something new, etc, etc.

This being said, there are a lot of variables in any scenario and it could potentially be much more beneficial to just work for someone else and simply managing your money wisely to be wealthy. If you can get a relatively well-paying job, it is much easier to just sit in an office for 7hrs and then be absolutely free after 4pm. I'll take the "lazy" lifestyle while I am young. Not planning on wasting the best years of my life worrying and/or working overtime.

Last edited:

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
People don't start businesses simply because they are lazy. It is that simple and there is nothing else to it.

People will make up all types of excuses for not starting a business. But the reality is that they are just too lazy to do the research, too lazy to establish the right network of people, too lazy to stick to a plan, too lazy to learn something new, etc, etc.

This being said, there are a lot of variables in any scenario and it could potentially be much more beneficial to just work for someone else and simply managing your money wisely to be wealthy. If you can get a relatively well-paying job, it is much easier to just sit in an office for 7hrs and then be absolutely free after 4pm. I'll take the "lazy" lifestyle while I am young. Not planning on wasting the best years of my life worrying and/or working overtime.
Dont listen to this guy as he has no clue about what it takes to be successful - it has nothing to do with being lazy. Starting your own business is hard work but the fact is that most will not be successful and it can be a long time before you make any real money.

Working for a company is safer and with hard work and contributing to the firms goals you can be very successful - but its not a 7 hour work day (dont know any accounting jobs that are). For me, I enjoy working for a major company and am involved in all aspects of the companies financial reporting and involved in making strategic decisions so the job is never boring. These are skills I likely would have never learned working for myself as I cant compete individually with the complexity of large firms. The key is to continuously challenge and stretch yourself and you will be rewarded both in your skill set and in terms of money.

Ask a Question