USA Yearly average currency exchange rates

Reaction score
The Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates posted by the IRS were updated in late 2011 to show interbank+4% (Typical Cash rate). The IRS table agrees with Oanda average rates (yearly ask rates). Sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet but you can Google them.

Question 1: Is anyone else using the new IRS table with much favorable exchange rates when converting foreign money to USD for individual US tax returns? For higher foreign incomes, it can save thousands of dollars in taxes.

Question 2: Has anyone tried to amend previous years tax returns to take advantage of the updated table using typical cash rates from IRS? Do you think IRS would accept an amended tax return (2009, 2010) due to a change in their own exchange rates table?

I presume IRS will update their table soon for 2012 but, if not, the Oanda site works.

Reaction score
UPDATE: I successfully amended my 2009 US tax return using the new exchange rates table from IRS (google Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates) and received a refund.
So it works and now I can amend my 2010 tax return as well. For other high income earners who convert foreign earned income to USD, you can also potentially save hundreds if not thousands of dollars in tax. For example, I estimate savings >$1,000 USD in tax for foreign income equivalent to $130,000 USD.

Ask a Question