USA Accounting for free labor received

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there,

My bookkeeping client wants to account for services that she received for free. One of her yoga teachers taught a class and did not want to get paid and does not want to get paid in the future also, but my client wants to instead donate what the teacher will not accept. What should I be recording? I was thinking to do a journal entry to debit labor expense and credit a donations owed account. Thank you.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't understand - keeping a permanent liability account on the books?
Isn't this really a barter situation?

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not barter; it's an in-kind donation by the instructor to the client. And it sounds like there's a lot of potential problems if there isn't some written agreement about what is to be done with the wages the instructor has earned--labor regulations regarding fair wages come to mind.
The part that sticks in my head is how to recognize the revenue that the in-kind donation is creating for the client. Would ASC 958-605-25-2 (requiring recognition of contributions received) apply here? Is the client a not-for-profit enterprise? I don't know if this would also apply to a for-profit client.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
And what would happen (ie - insurance liability) if the person donating the "service" would get injured somehow
in the performance of instructing? Who is responsible for coverages?
Situations like this create more than just a bookkeeping problem.

Ask a Question