Are you taxed when transferring assets to LLC? Need help soon

USA Discussion in 'General Tax Discussion' started by daysgoby, Sep 14, 2017.

1. daysgoby

daysgoby

Hi I am brand new to the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

I have finished paying off some business equipment. The title can now be transferred to my business, which is myself because I run as a sole proprietor. At this time I would like to form a LLC or LLC taxed as a S corp for this business for liability protection. I am not sure if I should transfer the equipment directly to the new entity once its formed or have the title made to me and then transfer it to the new entity.

I have talked to an attorney and they said it can be done either way so now I just need to know what taxes impact each scenario. I would like to avoid paying taxes on something I already paid taxes on if it is possible and ethical of course.

daysgoby, Sep 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. daysgoby

Drmdcpa VIP Member

Section 351 allows the transfer of business assets to a corporation in a tax free exchange under certain conditions, but the election must be made on the return. You should also be able to put business assets into a partnership without having initial tax consequences. You should consult with a CPA to determine your best course of action.

Drmdcpa, Sep 14, 2017
    daysgoby likes this.
    1. Advertisements