USA Band 1099

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in a band, this year each bar was supposed to make out the check to each of 4 band members. Needless to say, they only made the check out to me, and only sent 1099's to me! Am I on the hook for all the tax liability?
Thanks for any help!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can:
1) try to have the bar correct the 1099 and make it out to each member. I'm sure the bar is eager to do this. Bar probably does not have the social security numbers of your band members.
2) yourself issue a 1099 to each band member in the amount of their share. Of course you need their social security numbers and I'm sure they are eager to give you this info.
3) pickup all the income on your tax return and figure what the tax was and try to collect that from each band member. I am sure they are eager to pay you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kirby spelled it out pretty well.

In future, probably better to create a business structure for your band that will receive the income.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in a band... it's not hard to issue a 1099 yourself to each band member, but may get them PO'd that they have to claim this on their taxes, which may make the IRS wonder if the rest of the CASH income each band member received is reported... talk to someone about running your band as a business so you can write off expenses if you are going to claim band income.

Ask a Question