Best Scenario for Purchasing Home With Parents

USA Discussion in 'Individuals' started by CaliforniaKid, May 15, 2018.

1. CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid

Hello,
    First post. I appreciate the help!

So, my scenario is as follows:
    - My parents own two homes outright. One is their primary residence, one is a rental.

- My parents co-own a condo with my wife and me (mortgage is ~$300k - ownership is 50/50 between parents and me). The reason they helped us buy was to write off the mortgage interest and property taxes (we split the deduction 50/50 as well).

- My wife and I are looking to buy a new development with single family homes. We have been pre-approved on our own for $880k given a $200k down payment. $100k would need to come from parents as a gift.

What is the best tax option for all parties?
    1. Receive the $100k "gift" from parents, which would result in a lower interest rate (than having them on the mortgage). This route would incur gift taxes since we would be over the $28k per person per parent. They would then help with the mortgage.

2. Include them on the mortgage, which would result in a higher interest rate because this would not be their primary residence. This would not result in any gift taxes. Since my parents do not have a primary mortgage, or HELOC, but do have $300k mortgage for my current condo (realistically, only responsible for $150k), would any of the second mortgage be deductible?

Looking for the best tax option for both my side and my parents'. Thanks for the help.

CaliforniaKid, May 15, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. CaliforniaKid

kirby VIP Member

As far as gift tax goes, it is no problem unless your folks are multi-millionaires. Gift tax annual FILING EXCLUSION for filing a gift tax return for 2018 is $15K paid by one person to another. Given that --Mom can give you $15K and your wife $15K then Dad can do the same. No gift tax return needed and no gift tax. If they go over that $15K to one person in 2018 then they have to file a gift tax return but also then they use their EXEMPTION, which for 2018 is $5.6MM for Mom and same for Dad. No tax due for Mom unless she pays over $5.6 MM in gifts and same amount for Dad. Total $11.2MM in gifts by Mom and Dad and no tax due. Nice problem to have!:)

kirby, May 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question