billing software for a flying club?

Reaction score
I'm looking for an easier way to handle the invoicing for a club, right now it's done in what I believe is a cumbersome python script and I have no idea how else to do it starting over. I thought maybe quickbooks.

my problem is the billing structure and that we bill at 2 different rates, I'll try to summarize it and be clear.

everyone pays monthly dues, we'll say $100
that $100 goes into their account as a credit.

now when they use the airplane they are billed at 50 dollars an hour if the balance is out of their account and $25 if the account is zero or negative (paying cash)

the account balance is capped at $1000, after this they pay dues but the balance doesn't increase.

lengthy example: oct 1 fred's account balance is zero. He pays his dues so is balance is now $100. oct 10 and oct 15 he takes the plane for 1.5 hours each time for 3 hours total.

on oct 31 the month is closed and billed, his starting balance is $0. He has a credit of $100 so his account balance for oct is $100. He is billed for 2 hours @ $50 and 1 hour at $25. His bill for november 1st is $125, 100 in dues and 25 for usage. His account balance as of oct 31 is -$25 and that carries to November when he pays around the 1st and it goes to $100 again. If he didn't exhaust his account obviously that balance would carry forward. An email invoice is generated and sent.

maybe someone can give me an idea on how to easily account for it all better. Another advantage would be the ability to track fixed expense and unexpected expense as well so we can better track where we're at. This isn't done presently aside from a spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Quickbooks is overkill for this.

All you need is a basic accounting package with a good invoicing system. You will have to make sure each invoice is billed correctly as it may be too complicated (expensive) to have a package that will automatically calculate the hourly rate, but that's about it.

The system will track the credits and should be able to send out monthly statements to each member with their current credit balance or amount owed. :)

Ask a Question