USA Bonus Check Tax Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I work in a law firm. The standard policy when issuing bonus checks is to tax them at a flat 25% following IRS regulations. When I received my most recent bonus, I was over taxed. The payroll department processed at 25% PLUS my regular payroll deduction for taxes. Since the mistake is obvious, should that not be corrected and the difference refunded to me? Are there any tax or payroll rules or laws (I am in Tennessee) that cover that? I asked one of my attorneys, but we do not practice in that area and they don't know of any regulations effecting over taxing and my payroll department pretty much said "oh well, oops". Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just an opinion, but it seems like a fight not worth having. Kind of like getting a free cupcake and arguing that it didn't have as much icing on it as you had hoped. You'll get it back after you file your taxes.

Ask a Question